Customer Organisation, name and address
Dounreay Site Restoration Ltd, Dounreay, Caithness, KW3 6AS.
Contract Start Date
Contract Completion Date
Description of contract, including full scope details
DSRL has a strategy in place for the ongoing treatment and intermediate disposal of radioactive waste arising from the site decommissioning operations. Gow’s Lybster Ltd has been successful in the manufacture and supply of many designs of waste drum to the site and to date this has exceeded well over a 1000 units. Gows Lybster Ltd were awarded the tender to manufacture 3520 sacrificial can for the removal of special waste from Dounreay. During the manufacture process it soon became evident that the design works carried out by DSRL was not achieving the desired results. Gows Lybster were tasked with the trialling and design works to produce the lids to achieve the test pressure and also the pull test which after several designs accomplished these results to allow fabrication to commence.
The detailed scope of works is given below:
- Provision of a dedicated, secure, ventilated and clean working facility dedicated to stainless welding.
- All machined parts for fabricated in 316L stainless steel as per the contract specification.
- Provision of all documentation in support of the project including, Management, Procurement and Fabrication Procedures, Training Records, Weld Procedures, Welder Qualifications, NDT Procedures for Radiography, DPI, Inspector Qualifications, Quality Control Plan, Progress Reports and Life Time Quality Records.
- Machining of all component parts which included, milling, drilling, bending and lathe turning work
- Fabrication, welding and assembly of parts
- Inspection and Non-Destructive Inspection of parts and welded components
- (Radiography and DPI)
- Ongoing cleaning, identification to maintain traceability and storage of all components.
- Pull testing of Cans lids
- During pull tests it was discovered that the lids would not function as required and Gows Lybster Ltd carried our extensive design work to develop this process.
- Continuous records management in support of the Life Time Quality Records information for the client.
- Continuous management and updating of the Quality Control Plan
- Pre-delivery inspection of cans by the client.
- Submission of a delivery plan to DSRL.
- Delivery of the drums to the Dounreay site.
- Completion of the Quality Control Plan.
- Completion of the Life Time Quality Records Information and handover to the client.
- Receipt of a completion certificate from the client.
- Contract review with the client
- Location of the Contract/Project
The waste cans were manufactured, tested and inspected by the DSRL Quality Representative at the Gow’s Lybster Ltd Facility, Lybster, Caithness, Scotland KW3 6AS.